The power of literacy is limitless. To be able to read, write, speak, and listen allows an individual to communicate effectively. Literacy provides an individual the capacity to apply these skills of communication to connect, interpret, and utilize the information that is at our fingertips 24/7 in our global world today. The ever-changing global world creates opportunities for everyone, especially our youth. Our youth today must incorporate digital and interactive applications to their literacy skills. The Internet provides endless educational opportunities.
There are many ways we may encourage our youth to develop, grow, and enhance their literacy skills. Examples include:
– Share with your child how you use literacy in your everyday life at home and at work.
– Encourage your child to read each day whether that be a book, a magazine, the newspaper, or an e-book.
– Set aside time each night when the entire family reads quietly.
– Limit television, computer, and gaming time.
– Encourage your child to write daily. Examples could be writing a letter to a relative or writing in a daily journal.
– Educate your child on the proper ways to use the Internet and social media. Social media should not be utilized in a negative, derogatory, and/or non-factual manner.
– Complete a crossword puzzle with your child.
– Visit a library with your child.
As the Oregon Davis School Corporation continues to build your child’s literacy skills, we need your assistance as a partner to foster your child’s capacity to apply and utilize the power of literacy.
Dr. Donald E. Harman, Superintendent